How-to find your Army W-2

Q: I am try­ing to track down my 2011 W2 form from the Army, do you know how I can find it?

–Rox­anna, Texas

A: Lots of folks are prob­a­bly won­der­ing about that right now! I just printed my Army W-2 from the myPay web­site. Log on as usual and print the W-2 from the menu. Easy, peasy! Thank you for your service!

Share |

17 responses to “How-to find your Army W-2”

  1. What about a retiree? Where can he find his W2?

  2. Steven…Military Retired pay is reported on a Form 1099-R. If you were retired for all of 2011 your retire­ment income should be reported there. 1099-Rs can be accessed on the myPay site. You might have received one in the mail as well.

    - Curt Sheldon

    1. My hus­band had a gen­eral dis­charge and we have tried the process to change his mypay info and he can’t remem­ber his pass­word or any­thing and when we enter his social it gives us a num­ber to which never works as well it july and we haven’t been able to file yet

  3. What if you can’t remem­ber your login?

  4. Trina…On the log-in page you can click on “For­got Login” (or words sim­i­lar to that). You can then work through the process to get a new login. You can also work through the process if you for­got your pass­word too.

    - Curt Sheldon

  5. And if your retire­ment doesn’t coin­cide with Decem­ber 31 and/or you receive a back-dated VA dis­abil­ity award, don’t expect DFAS to issue you a W-2c. After down­load­ing my last active W-2 (par­tial year) from the left col­umn on MyPay and then down­load­ing my first retired 1099 (par­tial year) from the right col­umn on MyPay, I called both DFAS and VA to see who/how both agen­cies were going to make tax-withheld amounts cor­rect to file an IRS return. DFAS said, “suck it up, fig­ure the math out the best you can, and just sub­mit the right amount on your 1040 regard­less of what your last W-2 shows. Very anx­ious to see WHEN, not if, I get audited any cus­tomer ser­vice rep will fess up to the tax advice they are issu­ing these days from DFAS.

    1. Doug…Unfortunately, you’re right. No one in gov­ern­ment is going to help you with this. You can how­ever, adjust the amount from your 1099-R (you won’t adjust your W-2) that you declare as income on your 1040. You need to explain it and ref­er­ence Rev­enue Rul­ing 78–161 and the Strick­land Deci­sion. For more details check out my blog “Amat Vic­to­ria Curam”, which focuses on finan­cial strate­gies for mil­i­tary pro­fes­sion­als. Best of luck. Curt Sheldon

  6. How can I get a copy of my dd-214 mil­i­tary dis­charge papers,lost papers some time ago, need to apply for ben­e­fits. Thanks n advance.

    1. Which branch you served in?

      1. army

    2. If you have trou­ble through offi­cial chan­nels just sub­mit through the Free­dom of Infor­ma­tion act and sub­mit the paper­work to get a copy.

  7. I have a friend who’s hus­band died over­seas in early 2011 and she now is fil­ing her taxes for then. She is fil­ing joint and needs her deceased hus­bands W-2.… Is this the form she should be look­ing for, and is there any­thing else she needs to get for her taxes? — She doesn’t have access to his my pay and is hav­ing a very hard time. Any suggestions?

  8. how do i find my w2 if i was dis­charged in 2011

  9. how do i find my w2 if i was sep­a­rated from boot camp in 2012

  10. Hus­band was dis­charged from the army in Octo­ber and we can not access his mypay anymore..I need to know how we are going to be receiv­ing our W2?

  11. I’m try­ing to file my 2009 tax return, but I lost my tax return. I still have all my infor­ma­tion except the filer’s infor­ma­tion. My ques­tion is is the filer infor­ma­tion the same on every army w2 form, if so can some­body tell me what it is please?

  12. Hello! I’m try­ing cre­ate a new account on myPay to get my 2010 W2 from the army.

    So I go to “Cre­ate an Account” and myPay asks me for my SSN and pass­word. So I make up a pass­word because I’m “Cre­at­ing an Account”

    And myPay replies “The com­bi­na­tion you entered is incor­rect. Please try again.”

    So how can I cre­ate a new myPay account when it won’t let me?

USAA or its affiliates do not provide tax advice. Taxpayers should seek advice based upon their own particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor. The information is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining professional financial advice. Please thoroughly research and seek professional representation before acting on any information you may have found in this article. This article is in no way attempts to provide advice that relates all personal circumstances.

Examples given are hypothetical illustrations and not an indication of the benefits or features of any USAA product. You should seek policies and advice based upon your own particular circumstances. Sample loans are for illustration purposes only and are not a rate quote, pre-approval, or commitment to lend.

Scott Halliwell and JJ Montanaro are CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioners with USAA Financial Planning Services, one of the USAA family of companies. Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. owns the certification marks CFP® and Certified Financial Planner™ in the United States, which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.

USAA Financial Planning Services® refers financial planning services and financial advice provided by USAA Financial Planning Services Insurance Agency, Inc. USAA Financial Planning Services Insurance Agency, Inc. (known as USAA Financial Insurance Company in California, Lic. #0E36312), a registered investment adviser and insurance agency and its wholly owned subsidiary, USAA Financial Advisors, Inc., a registered broker dealer. (known as USAA Financial Insurance Agency in California), a registered investment adviser and insurance agency and its wholly owned subsidiary, USAA Financial Advisors, Inc., a registered broker dealer.

USAA means United Services Automobile Association and its affiliates. Investments provided by USAA Investment Management Company and USAA Financial Advisors Inc., both registered broker dealers. Banking products provided by USAA Federal Savings Bank. Credit cards provided by USAA Savings Bank. Both Banks Member FDIC.